Sunday, July 7, 2013

Week 26 - My Mother's Colon


I was still awake at 4:30 a.m. and the pain was worse than ever. I emailed that I wouldn’t be in and finally was so exhausted that I fell asleep. I woke up in the late morning and called the clinic for an appointment for 3:00 – the first one they had. My regular doctor was out so I was back with Dr. Haroun, who I’d left years ago. Oh well. Beggars can’t be choosers. They did a blood test and it showed I had an infection. Dr. Haroun checked my squeaky clean colonoscopy from 4 years ago and so said it might be a UTI so gave me antibiotics for that and said to come back on Tuesday. If my white count wasn’t down, they’d do a CT scan to see if it was diverticulitis. I went to the pharmacy, watered at Lorri’s and then went home for salsa pork roast.
It was another sleepless night. My neighbor left on vacation at 4:00 a.m. and I knew I’d wake up, which I did. I fell back asleep eventually and woke up feeling a bit better but still in pain. Back to the clinic at noon for another blood test, which showed an even higher white count so it was time for the CT scan. Damn! I’ve got my mother’s colon. It was diverticulitis after all. She changed my Rx to 2 different antibiotics and gave me a big shot of a third in the butt. At least I knew what it was. It was time to up my fiber and never have this again!

The antibiotics were working on the pain but I was back for a 3rd blood test on Wednesday and my white count was down but not enough so I got another shot in the butt. By this point, the side effects of the antibiotics had set in – insomnia, diarrhea and the most awful metal taste in my mouth. I also had no energy and felt so crappy I couldn’t even knit. No fun. I sat in my chair like a zombie, reading in between bouts of staring.
Thursday was my only day that week that I didn’t go to the clinic. More sitting, more reading and not much else. I was able to knit again so at least there was that. I even ventured out to book club that night. I was only gone an hour but felt completely wobbly and tired. Sheesh.

Friday found me back at the clinic for my 4th blood test of the week. My white count was down to normal levels so the antibiotics, which were still kicking my ass with side effects, were working. My BP was still low and so was my potassium but at least I didn’t need another shot. I went to the market in Wahoo to pick up some produce. I was taking this as good news and hoped to get back to normal over the weekend.

At some point in the week, I made the decision to cancel my trip. It was the right decision but kind of a bummer. I couldn't possibly go back to work for three days and then leave again for six. Not at fiscal year end. And I also didn't need the physical stress of traveling so soon after being sick.
I took it easy on the weekend. I did a lot of knitting and did manage to putter a bit in the garden and do enough chores to be ready for the week. I was still having trouble sleeping but the diarrhea had resolved itself and I was ready to head back to work. I was just too bored to stay home another day. What a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment