Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 6 - No More Foundation

The week started with my birthday. Since we have to bring treats to the office for our own birthday, a practice I HATE (why should I have to bake for my own birthday?), I brought donuts and cottage cheese dip to appeal to both the sweet and savory camps. Mary, Nora and Dale took me to lunch at Tico’s, which is an odd choice for me because my thoughts on Mexican are glop on a plate with cheese, but I wanted nachos so I picked it. Monday night was book club, so I brought banana cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert, which stood in for birthday cake. It is one of my faves and was super yummy so it worked. They even sang happy birthday to me. Add the 3 lots of chocolate I got and it was a nice birthday.

I got off work early on Wednesday to get my tooth fixed, which happily did not require a crown but just a filling. That’s $300 more in my pocket. I had grand plans of getting all kinds of things done after my appointment, most importantly doing the last annual report for the Library Foundation and getting all the paperwork ready for the new treasurer. As usual, I procrastinated the library stuff in favor of sitting in the sun, reading and drinking tea. But once the sun went down, I did manage to make some dinner and a pie for Ed, my friend Donna’s husband who fixed my drip in the basement. I delivered it and then went to bed early because Thursday was going to be along day.

The plan for Thursday was water aerobics then meeting Lorri for dinner at Panera followed by the movies. That was until all kinds of crap started falling from the sky. In the morning it snowed, then it turned to rain and by the time I was leaving campus after water aerobics, the inch of messy slush was starting to freeze and I was hydroplaning on partially frozen slush over a base of ice. It was the worst drive yet this season so I was glad Lorri and I had cancelled.

By Friday night, I could no longer procrastinate the library stuff so dug into the bank statements with a vengeance. The annual report, which I’d started earlier, wasn’t tying. A couple of hours later, having gone through 12 months of statements line by line, I finally figured it out. Once I’d saved all the treasurer’s reports to a flash drive, organized all the bank stuff in a binder and finished the annual report, I went to bed and slept like a baby. I dropped it all at the library on Saturday morning and was DONE! After 7 years on the Library Foundation, all 7 as an officer, I am at last rid of it. And at the Friends’ meeting on Saturday, I learned that the Foundation was going to handle all the landscaping and I would only be able to help if I asked permission. Cross that off! My library volunteering is now down to just being a Friend. Life is good!

The weekend was nice. I ran some errands after leaving the library and then headed home to shovel the driveway and read in the sun with a cup of tea before meeting Lorri and her husband at the new Mexican restaurant in Wahoo for an early supper. Mexican twice in one week – unprecedented! The food and company were good and I got home early enough to get some cooking and neatizing done. I was trying to make a dent in my chores so I could spend some time organizing the craft room on Sunday.

Well, I did get a bit done downstairs but not as much as I’d hoped. The sun was beckoning me upstairs so I sat in the front room and finished The Year of Wonders (the library book club book), which was about the plague and very good. I also did a ton of cooking so have lots of healthy food for the week. And while the whole world was watching the Super Bowl, I started Stephen King’s new book Under the Dome, which is gripping so far and at 1000+ pages, I can see where next weekend is headed. Good thing I finished that library crap. : )

1 comment: