Friday, October 16, 2009

Week 41 - Ain't Doin' Right

Well, I didn’t go to work on Monday but rather sat like a zombie in a chair feeling so congested that it felt like my head would explode, despite the Claritin D I’d taken. Although I'd started a new pair of socks on Sunday, I even skipped knitting at the library. I was really sick! I got up on Tuesday though and went to work but broke out in a sweat any time I moved so probably still had a fever. Oh well. I slogged through the day feeling like crap but had a breakthrough when I got home and was able to do a few chores without sweating, which was progress.

When I finally got home from work Wednesday night (I was feeling much better, although still congested, and had stayed late to finish something), I noticed that Mama Kitty was in distress, squatting repeatedly no matter where she was and dribbling urine each time. Also Pixel, who had been limping since the weekend, was much worse and was holding her foot three inches off the ground and wouldn’t put any weight on it. Clearly I was going to be spending some time at the vet. I called in late to work on Thursday and called All Feline in Lincoln about bringing in Mama Kitty. They said to bring her right away so I dropped her off on the way to work, concerned that she might have crystals blocking her urinary tract, which two of my previous cats had had. I called on and off all day but she wouldn’t pee and they needed urine to test. By the end of the day they told me she’d have to stay over. In the meantime I’d made arrangements for a Husker Cats volunteer to take Mama Kitty for the next week while I would be away. I’d also made an appointment for Pixel at my vet in Wahoo for Saturday morning.

I called on and off all day Friday (the cat had peed overnight but they were waiting for the vet to come in and then to find time to run the test), all the while keeping the back up foster person in the loop. It wasn’t until after work when I was on the way to Menard’s to buy everything the plumber would need to redo my tub while I was gone that the vet called. Mama Kitty only had a UTI – big relief on my part – and Christina had already been called and was on her way to pick her up. Cat issued resolved, now plumbing.

My friend Susan had emailed Thursday to say she’d be in town Friday and Saturday and was looking to do dinner Friday night and needed a place to stay. I had of course offered my spare room (good thing I’d torn the room apart Wednesday night and reclaimed it from the kitten’s residency) but had declined dinner, figuring one of her other friends would jump at that. Well, she called to say she’d take me up on the offer to stay over and also that no one could do dinner so she’d but up for that too. So, we met Menard’s to pick up my plumbing supplies (and how convenient it was that she had her parents’ van!) and then headed to Wahoo. The forecast was not only for our first frost overnight but snow (!) so Susan helped me bring in all my plants while we waited for our pizza. We had a pleasant evening of pizza and chatting then headed to bed.

We woke to 4 inches of snow and it was still snowing! I had to be at the vet at 9:00 so Susan beat a hasty retreat and I took Pixel, who was hardly limping at all by this time, to the vet where she got a clean bill of health. When I was paying the bill, which was ridiculously low (I LOVE this vet!), I looked down at the appointment book and saw “9:00 – Fenton ADR.” I could not help but ask what ADR meant and it took every effort not to burst out laughing when I was told “Ain’t doin’ right.” That just seemed to sum up my entire week!

I spent the rest of the day trying to situate all my lantanas and geraniums without my house looking like an overflowing greenhouse and packing for my trip the next day. Since I had to be up at 4:00 a.m., I was striving for an early bedtime (I was relatively successful.) I’ll call that my week because my ADR trend was about to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment