Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week 40 - Forced Slow Down

Having spent most of the previous Sunday bonding for one last time with the kitten, I started the week behind on chores. With the cleaning lady due on Tuesday and book club at my house on Wednesday, I plowed through neatizing the house after work both Monday and Tuesday nights, happy that the lasagna for book club was already made.

I left work early on Wednesday so the lasagna would be ready by 6:30 when everyone arrived. Book club was fun, with just a small group of four but the book was good (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was my suggestion) and the discussion was too. Everyone left with lasagna so I wouldn’t be faced with eating it for a week. With book club over, I looked forward to the rest of the week being quiet. Yeah, right.

It was a really frantic week at work and Thursday was the icing on that cake, with budget problems messing up the running of deans reports and that in a month where I had to get them done in a day and a half instead of two because of meetings all afternoon on Friday. Thursday was maniacal but I left on time to get to the pool, figuring exercising would help combat the day’s stress. Then despite wanting to do nothing more than go home, nuke some lasagna and watch Survivor, I headed to the library to do book sale stuff in preparation for Saturday’s Friends meeting. I ran around town posting flyers and putting out book donation baskets then back to the library to copy more flyers. I didn’t get home until 8:00 and struggled to keep my eyes open until bedtime.

Friday was another busy day at work and earlier in the week I’d made plans to go to Capitalism: A Love Story with Nancy. So I hit the pool at 5:00, met Nancy and her crew at Panera at 6:15 and went to the movie at 7:00. It was good and every liberal in Lincoln was there and, just like when we saw Al Gore’s movie, they clapped when it was done. So odd! I got home after 10:00 and fell into bed exhausted.

I woke up with a slight sore throat on Saturday but chalked it up to sleeping in a cool house (it’s just too early to turn on the heat so I’m trying to tough it out.) I went to the Friends meeting at 9:30 and had hoped to have a couple of hours at home before picking Andrea up for a trip to Omaha to check out a yarn shop I hadn’t been to. But I ended up needing to head to Weston to hang more flyers so convinced Lorri to come so we could grab an early lunch at Rezac’s. By the time we were done, I had to head right to Andrea’s. We hit HyVee for some super sales and then went to the yarn shop, which was fun. I was only buying 2 skeins of sale yarn but Andrea, who is a bad influence when it comes to yarn, convinced me to buy another lot of 3 skeins. Just more for my stash. : )

By the time I got home, it was clear I was getting a cold. I pulled out the Zycam, nuked the long-awaited lasagna and had my veg night in front of the TV. I woke up congested on Sunday morning and feeling generally punk (my mom’s term for under the weather.) I did almost nothing all day, managing only to bake some bread and do a load of laundry. Otherwise I sat on my butt, watching the National Parks on PBS and knitting. This cold is my body’s sneaky way of making me slow down. Whether I make it to work tomorrow or not is uncertain. I guess I’ll have to see how I feel in the morning. But at least I’ll be over the worst of it before I leave for California next week so I guess it’s better now than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment