The cooler weather was still here and even cooler than last week. I made the most of it while it lasted.
As usual, Monday was laundry day and it dried super fast outside. I also ran local errands and my new friend Lori, who I met when working the polls, came to Monday Night Knitting. I'm glad I had a nice day at home to start the week because the rest of the week was busy.
As a new and reluctant member of the Emeriti and Retirees Association board, I had a 4 hour stategic planning session on Tuesday at East Campus. At least they were providing lunch, which was protein free unfortunately, and it wasn't too painful. I had made an appointment to pick up my laptop from Philippe on city campus for an excuse to leave early but it didn't go the full 4 hours so I didn't need to ditch early. I picked up my laptop, found bunches of marked down yarn grab bags at Goodwill, which with the senior discount were only $.80 each (score!), and then did a big Aldi shopping before heading home. I finished a super complicated pair of socks that night. I'll call that a productive day.
I had some online training for the American Conversation Project Wednesday morning then headed outside to garden. I edged a couple of beds and then went to the farm store to buy yet more annuals. I put impatiens around the birds nest spruce and more pinks around the clothesline pole. Now when the heat sets back in and I'm stuck inside, I'll have some color on the 2 beds I can see when I'm sitting in my favorite chair. The first actual discussion of Common Sense went well that night. Just one more session to go.
Thursday started off well. I put a loaf of banana bread in the oven and then found a bunch of bedroom furniture on an online auction that was perfect for my friend Darla, who was redoing her spare room for her mother-in-law's visit in August. She was interested so I big on it for her and left for Lincoln. I drove by a yard sale on the way to the ATM and scored some fabulous vintage tablecloths, which made it tight to meet Dodie for lunch but I made it. We had a great lunch at our favorite Bison Witches and while we were eating, I got an email that I'd won all the auctions, which was $46 for a double bed with new mattress, 2 nightstands and a dresser. Score for Darla! Then I was off to Anne's because we were going to her friend's house, who is a full time reseller on ebay, so I could pick her brain and see her set up. I gave her the banana bread as a thank you and got all her best tips. I had already decided not to swim because it was only 71 degrees and overcast so headed home. I went out at dusk to water at my friend Lorri's on the way. Another good day in the books.
Friday was a day at home, which I was happy with. It was city-wide garage sales so I spent the morning shopping them but didn't find much. That's OK. I did some gardening - weeding and planting some veggies Lorri gave me and more flowers plus I replanted zucchini since the old seeds I'd planted didn't germinate. I enjoyed tea on my bench and made sheet pan pasta for supper. It was time for the weekend.
Saturday was the last cool day but I spent most of it inside, only venturing out to water at Lorri's and hit The Warehouse. I started The Other Bennet Sister on Britbox and knitted. Totally enjoyable day.
Sunday was our annual lunch with Jessica, our old water aerobics instuctor, and her family. She is now a professor at St. Lawrence University in Upstate New York but comes back every summer and makes time for lunch with her Campus Rec gang. Her partner and their twins plus her mom, who lives in South Sioux City, Nebraska, were there. It was a great time and her girls are so cute. I had planned to hang in Lincoln all afternoon but after hitting every single thrift, dropping donations at Stuff Creative Reuse, failing to find a movie worth seeing and even attempting to hang with kittens at the Humane Society, which was closed for some reason, I still had 2.5 hours to kill. I had brought a book and knitting but the thought of sitting in a coffee shop for hours just so I could swim sounded dismal so I gave up and drove home. Bummer to miss swiming but still a good decision. Did I mention that it was 98 degrees? Yeah, I stand behind not swimming.
This was a good week with a nice mix of socializing and productivity but the gorgeous weather was the icing on the cake. It could be a long time before we have highs in the 70's. I hate summer heat and it's even worse with the estrogen blocker taking me back to hot flashes. Just a couple of months. I can make it, spending time knitting and streaming in the AC, which isn't all bad.

No comments:
Post a Comment