Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Week 5 - Two Snow Days!

I have worked at UNL for 23 years and we've only had 2 snow days in a row twice and the 2nd time was this week. Nothing wrong with that!

I knew Monday was a snow day before I went to bed Sunday night so was able to enjoy lolling in bed Monday morning. I then spent the rest of the day watching it snow and then kept a zoom tea break with friends from work and Dawn, the accountant who moved to Virginia. After we hung up, I tried to go out and shovel, knowing it was only half done snowing but I thought I could get it half done and do more the next day. Nope. After 45 minutes, I couldn't feel my hands and feet and had only made it a third of the way down the driveway so I went inside and emailed my friend's son who mows. He could come the next day.

I didn't know we were off Tuesday until I got up that morning but that was fine by me. It was still snowing but stopped late morning. The kid and his dad showed up and had my driveway cleared by early afternoon, at which point I could really relax. I thoroughly enjoyed the second snow day - knitting, streaming and making yummy dinner of country style ribs in the crockpot, cuke salad and potato salad. It was a summery meal to enjoy with the foot of snow outside. Yum!

I had done a bit of work over the 2 snow days - things that couldn't wait. Working in my jammies while watching the snow fall was fine by me. And I got to bank a few hours to use on my birthday so it was a fair trade. The rest of the work week flew by. We had a virtual retirement party for one of the accountants at the endo f the day Wednesday, a program for MLK Thursday morning and I taught that afternoon. Book club was that night so that was a full day. I had time on Friday to get some work done but left for Lincoln at 4:00 for my second Covid test (negative) at 4:45. Darla was meeting me afterwards for some thrifting fun.

My birthday started early with a box of my favorite Chubby Chipmunk truffles from Connie arriving on Wednesday and some festive tiny cupcakes from Carolyn on Thursday. I had considered skipping Lincoln on Friday but when I mentioned it to Darla, she told me she had bought me a birthday cake so I had to go. We ate cake standing in the Goodwill parking lot. My birthday was still 3 days away and I was already feeling spoiled.

The weekend was lovely with a good mix of relaxation, chatting with friends via phone or zoom and getting enough done so I didn't feel guilty. You would think that I'd be getting sick of being inside my house but nope. It doesn't get old as long as I have knitting and something to stream. So it was a good 3 day work week book ended with cozy days at home. Don't get me wrong, spring will be a treat but I'll enjoy winter too. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment