Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Week 39 - Cat Hell Weekend

It was a quick week when I look back at it, with the work days seeming to fly by. But I was super tired all week so was dragging when I got home every night. My usual fully booked after work schedule didn’t help. I had something every single night and was even doubled booked on Thursday. Go figure.

Tuesday night a bunch of us from work went to Karen from HR’s downtown condo, which she just moved into this summer, for a fun evening of drinks and snacks. We laughed and laughed, harder than I have in a long time. I didn’t get home until after 9:00 but it was worth it. Thursday, which is usually a night I can go right home, was double booked with a Husker Cats meeting at 5:15 and I had to be in Wahoo by 7:00 for book club. I made it there in the nick of time and we had a good discussion on the Vietnam book. Monday was knitting and Wednesday and Friday were swimming. Better busy than bored came into play for sure.

Maybe fatigue played into this but I was sitting in a meeting on Wednesday, twisting me head to see the screen when I somehow pulled a muscle in my neck. I swam anyway and seemed none the worse for wear, until I woke up on Thursday morning. My neck was so stiff that moving my head even a tiny bit hurt. But with a full day ahead, staying home was not an option. Luckily I had a single lidocaine patch left from my shoulder problems so I took that to work and Cindy put it on my neck. It took the edge off and I was able to power through my day of lunch with Layton, training all afternoon and my double booked evening. Sheesh!

I had the wrong week on my calendar for the Friends of the Library meeting so was happy to get an email saying it was a week from Saturday. This should have left me free to sleep in and relax but then there was Pie. She didn’t come in Thursday night and when she did show up on the deck Friday morning, her mouth was stuck open. She wouldn’t let me near her so I went to work in hopes that it would fix itself (doubtful, although it has a couple of times that I know of) or I could catch her and manhandle it shut. Well, she didn’t come in Friday night so I was up twice in the wee hours calling her then woke up early Saturday (boy, would I have loved to sleep in!) to try again. She did come in eventually but immediately hid under the bed in the spare room. I pulled all the under the bed boxes out and she made a beeline to the basement. I shut the spare room door and then went to her hidey hole in the basement, at which point she ran up and under my bed. At that point I shut the door to lock her in there and called Andrea. She came over so she could poke her with the broom from one side while I grabbed her from the other. I got her on the 2nd try but couldn’t get her mouth shut. It had been open so long it was all stiff so I put her in a carrier and carted her to the vet, where I left her pending sedation.

So, not the morning I’d planned on but since all the yarn boxes were out of the spare room, I kept going in that room, which was on my weekend to do list but just not for first thing Saturday morning. By the time I called the vet at 3:00 to check on Pie, the bed was cleared and all the yarn was sorted and back under the bed or in the stacked totes. Pie’s mouth was shut so I picked her up and let her out. Having not eaten in nearly 2 days, she scarfed down half a can of wet food and eventually went outside, where she’s happier anyway. Big relief! And they only charged me $35.

Sunday was a bit of a recuperation day after the fiasco that was Saturday. I did manage to do all my chores, prepped some produce, cleaned out the upstairs freezer and got more done in the spare room, including swapping my summer clothes for cool weather clothes. There were still a few boxes of gifts and such on the floor of the front room but those and the ones that have been on the dining room table for months are top of the list for next weekend, which is my last before Ireland. And since I only have one weekend between Ireland and surgery, I want to have as much done before my trip as possible. So far, so good. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment