Saturday, March 18, 2017

Week 9 - Surgery at Last!

My surgery week was finally here. All the prep and planning left me with just a few things to take care of in the last few days, some of them having absolutely nothing to do with the surgery but why not add a few things while I was in power mode? I started Monday putting three packages in the mail, bringing in a repotted African violet to my co-worker and hitting Aldi during lunch for my last grocery stock up. I picked up Hurts Donuts to take to knitting, which were a hit. Just two more work days to go.

On Tuesday, the work gang went out for my farewell lunch. I chose the Blue Blood Brewing Company, which was absolutely delicious. We all had a great time and it hit home how much I'd miss all my work friends. They really are the best. I went home to power through cleaning lady prep and do a few more chores. 


When I left for work Wednesday, my last day (!), I had a load of laundry in the washer and another ready to go in as soon as I got home. This is what I came in to find hanging on my cubie wall. They also brought a lemon meringue pie from Stauffer's and Nora made her cream scones. Yum! Gotta love my work friends! I had a busy afternoon at work, which was a wonderful thing because I otherwise would have been distracted and, I'll admit it, worried. The surgery center called to say I didn't have to be there until 7:15, which was a gift. Now I wouldn't have to get up any earlier than a normal work day. I finished my laundry, changed cat boxes and packed, getting to bed early and sleeping just fine. Shocking!

I got up at my regular time and was at the surgery center checking in at 7:15. Anne arrived shortly thereafter and all the prep began. It was a blur of nurses, doctors and procedures. They did a nerve block, which was done in pre-op but I have no recollection of it, despite being awake when they wheeled me into the operating room. The next thing I knew, I was in my room. Done. The nerve block left my arm completely dead. Freakishly so. It was flopping like a dead fish but at least there was no pain.

My room was full Thursday night - Nora, Mary, Dodie and Darla. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. I was feeling sore but fine and was happy to be surrounded with friends. And there were flowers and presents too. Nice. I felt very loved. When everyone left, I fell asleep just fine.

When they woke me up at 4:30, the nerve block had worn off and it was clear within 30 minutes that I needed some drugs. They brought me some but they did nothing for the pain and as the pain escalated, my body went into shock. I was shaking, freezing cold and my BP plummeted to 80 over 40. They gave me better drugs and wrapped me in warm blankets until my body normalized. When I went into a bit of a panic at the thought of going home with my pain not under control, they gave me a Xanax and told me I wouldn't be released until the afternoon. In the midst of all this, Nora showed up with Starbuck's and kept me distracted discussing work until things were under control. I don't know what I would have done without her. 

The occupational therapist came to help me shower and get dressed (I really needed that) and after lunch, they said I could go. Lana and Dawn had taken my car back to Wahoo Thursday so Anne picked me up and drove me home. I'd only been gone one day but it felt good to be home. Nora had called Darla and suggested she stop after work but my morning freak out was long gone and I was happily ensconced at home. It will lovely to visit with her regardless.

I cannot tell you what I did for the weekend. I was taking oxi and was pretty stoned so it was all a blur. Friends came by Saturday and Lorri stopped after church Sunday and helped me take my first shower at home. Now that's a good friend, but aren't they all? I was feeling so loved and well taken care of. I am a very lucky woman. Thanks to everyone who offered me love and support. I truly appreciate you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment