Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Week 18 - Even More Plants

I was actually looking forward to a normal week with work, swimming and a weekend at home. Randy and Josh moved out on Monday and a new cubie mate arrived – Bethany, another accountant. I trained 2 afternoons and was busy so the week was flying by. Andrea called Wednesday night to remind me that I needed to feed her chickens while she was away for a long weekend. After some back and forth calls, we made plans to meet at lunch on Thursday so she could give me a key.

 Thursday was a stressful day with meetings and training stacked one after the other. I started the day popping over to East Campus for the Hort Club sale, where I bought round 2 of flowers for the year. Just before I was due to go into my first meeting of the day, I got something I’d been waiting for so slammed through 50 emails for my old boss in HR to send then ran off to the meeting, which luckily got out early. I then picked up Dodie and drove to the thrift store where we’d be meeting Andrea for the key exchange and shopping. Then it was back for an afternoon of training. I was spent by the time I was done.  Just one more day until the weekend.

Before I’d gotten Andrea’s reminder about feeding her chickens, I’d made plans to meet Darla for breakfast at Cook’s in Lincoln at 7:00 a.m. Friday morning. That meant I had to be feeding chickens at 6:00 and on the road by 6:15. I was actually ahead of schedule so food shopped before meeting Darla for a lovely breakfast. Darla’s the only person I’d meet so early and she’s totally worth it. I had a nice lunch with Layton at the Chinese buffet and swam after work. Finally it was the weekend. Unfortunately I had a Friends of the Library meeting at 9:30 Saturday so spent Friday night doing six months of treasurer’s reports since I hadn’t done one since September. Sheesh.

I was missing a bank statement, having been given the Foundation’s instead of Friends’ for one month, so called the bank first thing and ran down there to pick up the statement after feeding the chickens. I got 5 gorgeous, fresh eggs and ran home to finish my reports and be back at the library by 9:30. Once I got home from the library, I stayed home. It was a raw, rainy day and it was nice to be cozy inside. I started my chores and had them mostly done by the end of the day. I had Saturday snack supper and went to bed early.

I woke up at the crack of dawn on Sunday so decided to get dressed and head out. I fed the chickens, picked up a newspaper and was home and back in my pajamas eating an omelet with one of Drae’s eggs by 6:30. I was gone and back so fast that it felt like it never happened so it finally had my morning in jammies until noon. After grabbing lunch, I cleaned out my car and picked up Lorri for yet another plant run, this time to From the Ground Up. It’s my fave greenhouse and we go every year. It’s not particularly cheap but it’s locally owned and all of the plants are in pristine condition. Two flats later and I was back home drinking tea because it was another raw day, although not raining as steadily. Then the cooking began. I made a big pot of beef barley soup for lunches and made sautéed pork and leeks over quinoa with goat cheese on top for suppers. Then I put salsa pork in the crockpot for my boss, whose husband trashed his leg in a biking accident and is completely disabled for 10 weeks so can’t cook. I was ready for the week. All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment