Sunday, December 30, 2012

Week 52 - Ready for Christmas

It was a whirlwind week between finishing knitting presents and flying out on Friday night. I was on autopilot, slamming through my to do list to get everything done. And get it done I did, in the knick of time as usual.

I was knitting like a banshee on Monday night and then again on Tuesday, bringing Cheryl’s scarf, my last Christmas project, to work so I could get more done on breaks. Not that I take breaks normally but I was under the gun. I got 2 lace repeats done sitting in the ladies room and then pulled it out at Anne’s that night too. We had a soup supper get together as a send off for our favorite water aerobics instructor who is not teaching next semester. It was fun and relaxing and I got more knitting done. I didn’t get home until 9:00 but decided to keep knitting until I was done. I was up late but it was worth it to have it done.

First thing Wednesday morning, I blocked the two scarves, which for my non-knitting readers means wetting them then pinning them stretched onto the back of the couch to dry. It makes all the difference. That done, I headed to work, relieved to have all my Christmas knitting done. Lunch was the UAAD Graze & Mingle, which I went to with Dodie and had fun. It was raining by the time we left and there was talk of snow. Then the rain turned to snow and there was talk of a blizzard. I was hoping so hard for a snow day since I had lots to do to be ready to fly on Friday. Then we got the up yours email from the Vice Chancellor saying we would not be closed on Thursday and that we should park in the garage because the lots wouldn’t be plowed and to dress warmly because we’d have a long walk to our offices, adding that we should use our discretion, and vacation time, if we didn’t think we could drive in safely. Seriously! The students and faculty were already gone and it was a day before the start of Christmas break but we should come in anyway. Way to value your staff!

So, no snow day for UNL but Wahoo was in the band of ick and there was no way I could get out of my driveway. It was still snowing and blowing (it was officially declared a blizzard) at 10:00 and I had 10” of snow. My guys were coming to plow out my driveway but I went out and shoveled the deck, sidewalk, path and doors. They arrived just before noon and the plows came before they were done so they cleaned up the end of the driveway after the plow. Perfect. Now I had the afternoon for laundry, packing and final prep. I got everything done with time to spare so enjoyed some knitting in the sun that afternoon. It was worth the vacation time.

I put my bags in the car and headed to work, happy to have had the extra time. I had given Mary her socks on Wednesday because she was out Friday and Thursday was iffy. Good thing. That left the scarves, which both Nora and Cheryl seemed to like, for Friday morning. I had lunch with Layton and then set out for the airport a bit earlier than I’d planned in case the snow was an issue. It wasn’t for getting to the airport but it was a zoo and my flight was delayed. The second one too so I didn’t get in until after 1:00 a.m. It was good to see Carolyn, as always.

I didn’t turn the light off until 2:15 so was exhausted the next morning. We made our shopping list over coffee, planning the menu for Sunday’s open house. As soon as we got back from the market, the baking began. Cookies galore. It was fun but by the end of the afternoon, I was spent. We had dinner and I couldn’t keep my eyes open so went to bed instead of staying up for a movie. I slept like a rock.

Sunday was busy busy, getting ready for the 3:00 start time. We chopped veggies, made the dips and got everything out on the table. Then we waited. And waited. Maruta was the first to show at 4:15 and then everyone arrived. It was fun to sit around the table and chat with all my friends. I was sitting at the end of the table with the veggies and dip so I think I ate a head of cauliflower before it was over. Cornelia was the last to leave and so got the parting gift of our homemade plate made of melted cinnamon candies, loaded down with all kinds of treats. We had very little left to clean up, which was nice. It was a wonderful end to the week and the next day was Christmas Eve. Ho ho ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment